Every October, as fallen leaves carpet the ground with brilliant shades of brown, yellow, red and orange, a variety of strange and spooky images start to appear creating Halloween Spirit. Ghosts and ghouls hang from trees, carved pumpkins and gnarled broomsticks appear on doorsteps, spiders weave webs across windows and gravestones turn up on front lawns.
Halloween art sets the stage for the scariest holiday of the year. Well before October 31 rolls around, you’ll want to get busy creating the seasonal decorations that will set the tone for the entire month.
The most common images in Halloween art include:
- ghosts and haunted houses
- witches, broomsticks and cauldrons
- pumpkins and jack o’lanterns
- spiders and cobwebs
- vampires and bats
- skulls and skeletons
Both adults and children alike enjoy creating Halloween arts and crafts that bring these strange and macabre images to life. Here are some hands-on ideas for Halloween arts and crafts:
- Color in Halloween images with markers, crayons, paint, or even digitally using your computer
- Cut outlines of spiders, bats, and witches’ hats out of black paper
- Cut out body parts from magazines and paste them on thick paper to make your own monsters
- Create your own gravestone using black marker on grey paper
- Draw a pair of eyes and a wide, smiling mouth full of teeth on a pumpkin, and carve it out to create a jack o’lantern
To get in the holiday spirit, hang your 2-D Halloween arts and crafts in your front windows or on your front door. Place your 3-D Halloween art projects on your doorstep or front lawn.
The most exciting form of “Halloween art” is your costume!
Whether you are a 7 years old or 77 years old, on October 31 you can transform yourself into someone (or something) else. This is where your imagination has free reign – you can change your appearance however you want by wearing a costume, a wig, and/or make-up. Whether you are the one trick-or-treating or the one answering the door with a bowl of candy, Halloween is a holiday full of surprises, where nothing is quite what it seems.
Read more Segmation blog posts about Art:
Art Therapy Treats more than the Heart
How to turn your Passion into Profit
Be a Artist in 2 minutes with Segmation SegPlay® PC (see more details here)
Thanks for the ideas! My boyfriend and I are celebrating our first Halloween together- so I might try out a couple of your cool ideas.
Great. Let me know which ones work for you!